[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Sep 25 00:08:01 AEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:27 AM, <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> I think the Berkeley guys had an underground
> pipeline to Bell labs and some stuff got out that way. :-)

​It was not underground at all.    Tools packaged in BSD came from all over
the community.   style and diction were released into the wild by
themselves before the were packaged into an AT&T USG UNIX or Research UNIX
release.  It got them personally directly and had them installed at
Tektronix soon after first publishing and a talk about them at USENIX (IIRC
that was the Boulder conference in the "Black Hole" movie theatre.

Since I had a minor stake in it (as my first C program) fsck is another
good example of the path to UCB .  Ted started the predecessor program
​when he was at UMich (with Bill Joy).   He did his OYOC year and later a
full PhD at CMU.   He was one of my lab partners in his OYOC year.   fsck
was a we know it now was done during that time ( and I helped him a bit).
He was bring the sources back and forth from Summit to CMU (at the time in
an RK05 or sometimes a bootable DOS tape image of one - I may still have
one of these).    I believe he gave a copy of the sources very early to wnj
-- which is how it ended up in 4.1BSD.  I don't think it was in the
original 3.0 or 4.0 packages as it was not in V5, V6 or V7 either.  I
believe it was released in PWB 2.0 - not sure and Minnie does not seem to
have them.

I'm pretty the SCCS and cpio sources came through one of the PWB releases
(1 or 2)  that UCB got from AT&T.

​Clem​