[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Sep 25 02:12:33 AEST 2015

Diomidis Spinellis scripsit:

> - Lorinda Cherry is credited with diction.  But diction.c first appears
> in 4BSD and 2.10BSD.  Did Lorinda Cherry implement it at Berkeley?

Diction and style were part of Writer's Workbench, a sort of analogue of
PWB for technical writers rather than GE programmers.  There were apparently
quite a few others as well.  There is now a commercial product called
WWB based on the old software, but running as plugins to MS Word.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand
on an islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of inexplicability.
Our business in every generation is to reclaim a little more land,
to add something to the extent and the solidity of our possessions.
        --Thomas Henry Huxley