[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Sep 25 03:28:31 AEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Mary Ann Horton <mah at mhorton.net> wrote:

> I also heard that Ted K (aka "frodo") got fsck released to Berkeley by
> swearing (somehow with a straight face) to the Bell Labs lawyers that it
> had no commercial value.

​That would have so much like Ted.   I never heard that story, but I would
believe it.  I do believe that he told them (rightfully) that it was
primarily developed at CMU using CMU computing resources (the 11/34A for
the Digital Lab in the EE Dept that Ted and I ran).  IIRC: the primary
feature hat he did to it at Summit besides support for the changes in the
V7 filesystems, was support for large disks (aka RP06) when attached to a
small address space (11/40 class) systems, of which CMU had a number as I
believe the Labs did also.   Armando's I believe you two were office mates
in those days, do you have memory?

    We had it at Tektronix because I brought it from CMU.

Clem​