[TUHS] Re {TUHS} Synchronous vs Asynchronous IO in Unix

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Sep 26 08:05:42 AEST 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015, Doug McIlroy wrote:

> Signal() was there first and foremost to support SIGKILL; it did not
> purport to provide a sound basis for asynchronous IPC.

Yeah, brother.  In a previous life, I got burned very badly when I relied
upon signals Doing the Right Thing [tm].

I think it was dump/restor, on a BSDi box; the damned thing communicated
betwixt its child processes with signals, and I lost every backup tape
without realising it.

              Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!