[TUHS] Re {TUHS} Synchronous vs Asynchronous IO in Unix

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan vu3rdd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 17:19:27 AEST 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 4:53 AM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 07:16:41PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>> Sadly I have heard a number of stories/expereiences like this.   That's why
>> the original Posix.4 specification had a new API: asynchronous system traps
>> (AST) similar to what most other real time systems have had such as RSX,
>> VMS or VxWorks for that matter and true async I/O calls.
>
> Tcl (really tk, but tcl implements it) has this.  You bind an event to
> a subroutine and when the event happens it jumps into that subroutine,
> just like an AST (with similar rules about calling context etc).
>
> Mainly used for GUI programming where it fits nicely but one useful thing
> is you can post fake events.  That makes it possible to write regressions
> for gui code which is *awesome*.
>
> --larry "still using tcl/tk after all these years" mcvoy
>
> P.S.  We're not crazy, we implemented a C like language that compiles down

Larry:

This is really interesting. The C-like language you are referring to
here is the "L" language?

The introductory paper linked from here: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17068> is
giving 404. Would you mind fixing the link or pointing me to another
copy of the paper? My google-fu failed to find a copy of the paper
elsewhere.

Ramakrishnan