[TUHS] getting nroff to underline in v6,v5

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Sep 28 02:10:02 AEST 2015

And there were a whole slew of filters like nobsp that either stripped out the over(under?)struck characters or reformatted them so it worked on your lineprinter efficently.      I remember the lineprinter we had if you fed it line with a backspace it would print the line up to the backspace and then overstrike it going forward.   If you had multiple backspaces (like a whole sentene) the thing stuck there just doing the overstrike.   It was more efficient to write a filter that changed the _ BS X for each letter to one line of text, a CR (no LF), and then another line of overstrike.