[TUHS] History repeating itself (was: Unix v6 problem with /tmp)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Aug 1 11:08:46 AEST 2016

Rudi Blom scripsit:

> To setup the 'infrastructure might be the tricky part. Many years ago
> I flew from Montreal to Amsterdam and had two stacks of 5-1/4"
> diskettes with me. No papers, confiscated in Amsterdam.

I carried an RK05 disk full of proprietary software from West Orange NJ
to a client in Kansas City back in 1977.  Airport security existed, but
it wasn't as anal it is today.  So when I told them they couldn't X-ray
the disk, it might scramble it, they wanted to do a physical inspection --
but I told them if they opened the disk they'd get dust in it and ruin it.
Finally they took my word for it.

When the disk got to the client's, it was completely scrambled anyway.
I went back home, and next week my partner went out with a stack of 5.25s.
It took him twenty hours to set up the client's system (I don't remember
if it was a PDP-8 or a PDP-11), but the job got done.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter.
You stand between me and my lord and kin.  Begone, if you be not deathless.
For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him.