[TUHS] Comments on "C"

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Aug 29 13:16:19 AEST 2016

On Sunday, 28 August 2016 at 18:37:21 -0600, Marc Rochkind wrote:
> Yeah, OK, another one of those clever glib UNIXy aphorisms.
>
> But, as anyone who's actually programmed seriously in assembly language
> knows, C is not assembler. It is a system programming language low enough
> to be used for things that were once done in assembler, the most important
> of which is an OS.

Agreed, calling assembler is being deliberately a little silly.  But
there is a connection: when I write C, I can envision what code is
going to be produced.  With many languages, including C++, you can't
be so sure.

"A LISP programmer knows the value of everything and the cost of
nothing".

> So, are we just having fun over a few beers, or talking seriously? I
> like both!

I'll go for the beer.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.