[TUHS] Unix & Memory Management Units (MMU)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Dec 8 03:10:48 AEST 2016

    > From: "Erik E. Fair"

    > Which version of Unix first ran on a computer with virtual addressing

That would be the first version to run on the PDP-11/45; I'm not sure which one
that was, there's not enough left of Version 2 or Version 3 to see; Version 4
definitely ran on the 11/45:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V4/nsys/ken/45.s

    > My guess from a quick look at the history of the DEC PDP-11 is that the
    > target computer was likely a PDP-11/35 or PDP-11/40 with a KT11-D
    > "memory management" module.

No, they came after the -11/45 (with the KT11-C MMU).

    > What year did that come about?

They got one of the first -11/45's, per a Unix history document I'm too busy
to dig up, so 1972.

   Noel