[TUHS] Moto and MMU issues -- was Unix & Memory Management Units (MMU)

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Fri Dec 9 03:12:43 AEST 2016

On 12/8/16 11:38 AM, Ron Natalie wrote:
> /
>
> The original Bourne Shell did not use malloc, but rather had a SIGSEGV handler
> that used to extend the "string stack" called "stak" via sbrk() whenever the
> code tried to access data beyond the end ot the heap./
>
> / /
>
> The V6 (Mashey) shell did that.   I thought they’d gotten rid of that by
> the time the Bourne Shell rolled around.

That was one of the changes Bourne made during the deliberations over
which shell would be the Unix "standard" for Bell Labs.  It was always
an efficiency hack, meant to address Mashey shell user concerns about
performance.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/~chet/