[TUHS] That's not a computer...

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Dec 9 08:57:52 AEST 2016

On Friday,  9 December 2016 at  9:02:43 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> *This* is a computer!
>
> http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/EAI/EAI.HYDAC2400.1963.102646295.pdf
>
> A hybrid analogue/digital box, what could possibly go wrong?  And check
> out the dudes and dudess supporting it (except she'd better be careful
> when moving her chair, in case she takes out a paper tape unit...).

Ah, that brings back memories, though of a different hybrid computer:
EAI 640/3200 combination at CSIRO in Clayton, back in 1971.  I was too
junior in those days to understand all the details, but I do recall
that it was at least twice the size.

It didn't run Unix, though.  We programmed the digital side in some
FORTRAN dialect that included scaled fractions (integers with the
decimal point at the left).

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.