[TUHS] Dennis' Draft of the Unix Timesharing System: not so draft?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:11:16 AEST 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> Not really a response to your question, but I'd looked at that
>> ​ ​
>> 'UnixEditionZero' and was very taken with this line, early on:
>>
>>   "the most important features of UNIX are its simplicity [and] elegance"
>>
>> and had been meaning for some time to send in a rant.
>>
>> The variants of Unix done later by others sure fixed that, didn't they?
>> :-(
>>
> ​One of my favorite comparisons and definitions of "bloat" came when I
> discovered years ago that the SVR3 >>boot<< system was larger than the V6
> kernel.

To be fair, I think some of the complexity is because hardware is more
complex now. It never ceases to amaze me how baroque some of Intel's stuff
has become.

On a related note, great as my respect is for Ken and Doug for their work on
>> ​ ​
>> early Unix (surely the system with the greatest bang/buck ratio ever),
>
> ​+1​
>

>> I have
>> ​ ​
>> to disagree with them about Multics. In particular, if one is going to
>> have a
>> ​ ​
>> system as complex as modern Unices have become, one might as well get the
>> ​ ​
>> power of Multics for it. Alas, we have the worst of both worlds - the
>> size,
>> ​ ​
>> _without_ the power.
>>
> ​Mumble -- Other than one important idea (single-level-store as you
> said), I'm not so sure.​  I think we ended up with most of what was
> envisioned, and some of the SW things (like the "continuation" model and
> how dyn-linking ended up working in practice) - I think we are ahead of
> Multics.   Winders more than UNIX (IMO) ended up with the complexity and
> bloat and most of the bad ideas without the good.  But I think UNIX mostly
> was able to stick to what was important (except for the loss of "small is
> beautiful" - my rant).  Some of the HW idea moved on - Intel picked up
> segments and rings. Look at INTEL*64, we use 2 rings and stopped using
> using segments because it too hard to program around them ---  both
> proved to be unusable/impractical when they were released.

Yeah. The only remaining vestige of x86 segmentation seems to be FS and GS,
which are often used for thread local storage.

(Of course, Multics made some mistakes - primarily in thinking that the