[TUHS] User maintained programs in the Second Edition

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Thu Dec 22 19:22:32 AEST 2016

Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:

> Does anyone remember whether at the time these were installed in the
> system-wide /bin directory, or whether they were only available in their
> owners' home directories?

>From what I remember from a talk from Stephen Bourne at a Sun user group
meeting in 1990, user maintained programs have been installed in /usr/bin.

Stephen Bourne after some time wrote a cron job that checked whether an update
in a binary also resulted in an updated man page and otherwise removed the
binary. This is why these programs have man pages.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin