[TUHS] 2.11BSD on a Z180 (was: merry christmas)

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 11:35:54 AEST 2016

Yes, OK, I see that there are unanticipated problems with the 2BSD
Z180 port. Basically I had thought that the kernel ran like a
userspace program, I knew there might be overlays involved with the
code space, but I hadn't realized there are also overlays with the
data space (from what you say I guess the mbufs are accessed using a
kind of a "far" pointer). Anyway, I will check into it further.

Based on the previous day's conversations I got inspired to continue
the project, I got out the 2.11BSD toolchain which I had ported to a
modern machine as a cross compiler (actually Mac OSX although I was
using it like a poor man's Linux)... started again using Linux and a
different way of building that would require less change to the
Makefiles, fixed all compile warnings, fixed many bugs, it now
produces:
bin/ar
bin/as
bin/cc
bin/ld
bin/nm
lib/c0
lib/c1
lib/c2
lib/cpp
lib/crt0.o
lib/libc.a
lib/mcrt0.o
usr/bin/lorder
usr/bin/ranlib
usr/lib/libc_p.a

The executables above are x86-64 Linux ELF executables that work alike
to the corresponding PDP-11 2.11BSD a.out executables, except that
hard coded paths like /usr/include or /usr/lib have an extra prefix
added to them, at the moment it works like this:
  /home/nick/src/2bsd_cc.git/bin/cc contains a hard coded executable
path of /home/nick/2bsd_cc.git/lib.cpp
  /home/nick/src/2bsd_cc.git/lib/cpp contains a hard coded include
path of /home/nick/src/2bsd_cc.git/usr/include
and so on, these are set up at build time. Changes to the makefiles
are pretty minimal, in the libc source directory I had to change
things a bit to make it refer to the cross compiler rather than the
native compiler, by changing stuff like "cc" to "${CC}" and adding
stuff like:
  DESTDIR=../../..
  CC=${DESTDIR}/bin/cc
and so forth. The revised toolchain if compiled with -DPDP11 will be
more-or-less as original, so it should not break the self-hosted
compile system (up to possible minor breakage because I haven't tested
this mode yet), for instance if the original code looked like this:
  int some_function();
  some_function(a) int a; { some code }
then it would now look like this:
  int some_function PARAMS((int a));
  int some_function(a) int a; { some code }
where the PARAMS macro is set up appropriately depending on whether we
are compiling on the PDP-11 or the modern Linux machine.

One significant difference with the cross toolchain is that I have
translated the PDP-11 assembler /bin/as from assembler into C. So I
guess it will be slightly slower and use slightly more memory, but I
doubt the difference would be noticeable in practice. In future when I
merge my changes into 2.11BSD and fix any breakage, I'll probably just
delete the as0.s, as2.s and replace with as0.c, as2.c. Also I fixed
some memory allocation bugs and illegal pointer dereferences in the
other utilities that just happened to be benign on PDP-11.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked because after successfully building the C
library, etc, with the cross toolchain, I compiled a hello world
program and copied it into the running simh system, it executed
without problems. When I compiled the same program on the self-hosted
compile system in the running simh system everything was the same
except the final executable, I will have to pay a bit of attention to
the lorder and tsort stuff when it builds the C library, to make sure
everything comes out in a predictable way for comparison.

I will test this more extensively in the coming weeks, e.g. by
building a kernel using the cross toolchain and checking it's the
same. I am nearly ready to put the cross toolchain on bitbucket, but I
just want to take a bit of care before doing "git commit" to make sure
it's not capturing any junk I don't want in there, so I will do it
later. I had better pay some attention to the family :) Happy new year
everyone.

cheers, Nick