[TUHS] Unix v6 File System information

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Feb 21 20:01:24 AEST 2016

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016, Will Senn wrote:

> Is there a good source of information about the Unix v6 filesystem
> outside of the source code itself? Also, is there a source for the
> history of the early Unix filesystems from v6 onward?

Well, I could tell you exactly how the V6 FS worked, but it would take me
over an hour to type it all in, so hopefully someone will come forward.

Dir entry: 14 chars (non-null term), plus 16 bit index into inode.

Inode table: a bit weird, involving single/double/triple block addresses
into the disk itself.

And then we have the superblock (yep, only one, in those days).