[TUHS] Unix v6 File System information

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Feb 21 23:34:46 AEST 2016

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V6/usr/man/man5/fs.5

Yeah, but I was unsure whether the OP wanted a technical description, or
one in plain English :-)  I'm still prepared to do the latter, once I can
find a spare hour.

Somewhere, deep within Minnie's bowels, there might be a paper that I
wrote upon implementing a "bad block" system (specifically directed at the
RK-05, but generally applicable to any device); it involved the hitherto-
unused inode "0", to which were chained the bad blocks (added by hand).

The trick was that normal FS utilities would ignore it...

Someone at the time (Kevin Hill?) pointed out that inode "-1" could also
be used, but I wasn't prepared to go that far :-)