[TUHS] Unix v6 File System information

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 01:36:12 AEST 2016

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2016, at 5:44 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>> From: Will Senn
>
>> Is there a good source of information about the Unix v6 filesystem
>
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V6/usr/man/man5/fs.5
>
>> Also, is there a source for the history of the early Unix filesystems
>> from v6 onward?
>
> I don't know of one (although there is that article on the 4.2 filesystem),
> but would love to hear of one.
>
> I gather that V7 is basically V6 except the block numbers are 32 bits, not 16.
>
>    Noel

Thanks for the link. Let me ask a follow up question. Supposing I created a byte faithful representation of a V6 filesystem on my mac, would I then be able to load the file in simh as an RK05 and mount and access its files and directories from a V6 instance? If I need to post in the SimH list, let me know.

Will