[TUHS] Unix Circuit Design System

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jan 1 14:04:04 AEST 2016

SPICE is very different than UCSD.    The later is for schematic capture and board design - full components like IC packages.   Think of it's most famous use - the boards that Ken created for the chess machine - Belle.  The former is for low level circuit design - transistor level of a chip.  For instance the standard SPICE benchmark is the internals of the 741 op-amp or the 555 timer.

BTW at the time, Tom was my housemate. Don Pederson (aka dop) was my second reader as he was for Tom. My thesis was an Array processor for BSD used to run TQ's thesis - SPICE3 (we were both students of Richard Newton who had been one of dop's students years before)

Anyway SPICE1 was actually started in the late 1960's by dop. Ellis Cohen wrote SPICE2 for the CDC 6400 in the mid 70's, added some new device models and created really novel bit of self modifying Fortran the compiled the inner loop.

You are correct it was really the first widely available FOSS code - an idea that you correctly note dop created.  He used to say he went in the back door to all the firms in the Bay Area and had there secrets because he helped them and was not selling his research.  If we took money then we would be like any other salesman.

For SPICE3, Tom pulled the system into modules and made it so different models could be added, made it callable from other tools and rewrote it into C from Fortran.

It's interesting both versions are still generally available and have different followings.

In the end spice is basically a program that solves systems of simultaneous differential equations with many many variables using linear algebra.  Very slick system.

Clem

Sent from my iPhone