[TUHS] etymology of cron

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Sun Jan 3 09:14:09 AEST 2016

Personally, I lean away from listing the nine billion debunked
names of cron.  It's like adding a disclaimer to cat(1) to
explain that cat just copies data to standard output, it doesn't
transform it or compute how long it would take to send the data
over UUCP.

But it probably shows that I have been trying to write a couple
of manual pages lately (for some personal stuff, plus some docs
for work that are not technically manual pages but deserve the
same sort of conciseness).

Maybe Wikipedia-page format should admit an optional BUGS section.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

PS: seriously, though I wouldn't bother including the debunking
text myself, save perhaps on the Talk page to encourage editors
to delete any future attempts to revive the un-names, I have no
problem with Grog doing it.  More power to him if he has the
energy!