[TUHS] v6 debugging

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Jan 24 03:39:45 AEST 2016

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> 3. No debugger that I can find.
>>
> ​From research, until V7 correct.  But check the USENIX tapes, ​Harvard,
> CU or Columbia did a ddt clone that was pretty good.

​Just read Noel's message -- sounds like the ddt came from Stanford and
MIT.   I don't remember the assembler version of it, but we definitely had
a C version for the 11 before V7.

I also had forgotten about db and cdb  - I could not tell you when they
appeared in the source stream without poking at Warren's archives.

BTW: I was thinking that the ddt came from the CU folks because they were
the folks that first got the DEC FTN to run on UNIX.  Since they did not
have access to  PDP-10 to run the BLISS compiler, the simulated it.   They
wrote a number of tools for the 11 and 10 in that project what were much
like the DEC tools from the PDP-10.

Clem​