[TUHS] PDP-11 questions

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Jan 25 23:09:41 AEST 2016

On 2016-01-25 13:54, John Cowan wrote:
> Johnny Billquist scripsit:
>
>> The 310 was not called a Professional, though. It was the EDUsystem
>> if I remember right.
>
> I never heard of an EDUsystem built into a desk; they all predated
> the 8/A.  This was running COS-310, an offshoot of OS/8.
> See Doug Jones's PDP-8 FAQ.

COS-310 was the OS for the EDUsystem 310. As far as I can remember, it
is not based on OS/8. I think you are right that the EDUsystem predated
the 8/A, but they are not that far apart.

If you are thinking about the 8/A built into a desk, that was not called
a 310 anything. You could, of course, boot COS-310 on it, though. In
fact, the 8/A in the desk would have been the DECstation 88, or
something like that. I need to go and dig up my old DEC handbooks to
verify that, though. But I was amused when the "DECstation" (MIPS based)
came out, and remembered thinking that I've seen DECstations before. :-)

I know of Doug Jones FAQ. I probably contributed to it, and I was
definitely around before it, or Doug, had heard of PDP-8s. :-)

All that said, my memory do sometimes play tricks on me, so if I'm
wrong, and someone can point at a DEC document that says otherwise, I'll
happily admit my error.

	Johnny