[TUHS] Scan of "Edition 0" manual

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Wed Jan 27 09:46:48 AEST 2016

On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 12:09:03AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/McIlroy_v0/UnixEditionZero.txt
> >
> > Doug, page A7 is missing. Could you e-mail in a scan of that page?
>
> Doug reports in a private e-mail that the physical page A7 is missing,
> so he is unable to scan it in. Oh well.

Actually, we can probably substitute part of the db(1) man page from 1st
Edition Unix for the missing page A7:

             =   When preceded by an expression, the value of the
                 expression is typed in octal. When not preceded by an
                 expression, the value of. "." is indicated. This
                 command does not change the value of ".".

             :   An attempt is made to print the given expression as a
                 symbolic address. If the expression is relocatable,
                 that symbol is found whose value is nearest that of
                 the expression, and the symbol is typed, followed by a
                 sign and the appropriate offset. If the value of the
                 expression is absolute, a symbol with exactly the
                 indicated value is sought and printed if found; if no
                 matching symbol is discovered, the octal value of the
                 expression is given.

          The following command may be used to patch the file being
          debugged.

             !   This command must be preceded by an expression. The
                 value of the expression is stored at the location
                 addressed by the current value of "." . The opcodes do
                 not appear in the symbol table, so the user must
                 assemble them by hand.

          The following command is used after a fault has caused a core
          image file to be produced.

             $   causes the contents of the general registers and
                 several other registers to be printed both in octal
                 and symbolic format. The values are as they were at
                 the time of the fault.

                  The only way to exit from db is to generate an end of file
                  on the typewriter (EOT character).

Cheers, Warren