[TUHS] Links to relevant Unix Usenet newgroups?

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Thu Jan 28 14:25:16 AEST 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 01:56:28PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi all, does anybody know of on-line historical Usenet archives that
> I can link to ...

So I've taken the UTZoo Usenet archive from
https://archive.org/download/utzoo-wiseman-usenet-archive, repacked
everything into per-newsgroup files. I've worked out how to use
the Mailman archiver to generate a web-readable archive for each
newsgroup.

Below is a list of newsgroups that I'm concentrating on. Where
can I find a short description of each newsgroup? The ones with
descriptions came from the postings in mod.newslists.

Thanks, Warren

alt.sources
alt.sources.d
alt.sources.patches
alt.sys.sun
clari.nb.unix
comp.bugs.2bsd          Reports of UNIX* version 2BSD related bugs.
comp.bugs.4bsd          Reports of UNIX version 4BSD related bugs.
comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
comp.bugs.sys5          Reports of USG (System III, V, etc.) bugs.
comp.lang.c             Discussion about C.
comp.org.uniforum
comp.org.usenix         USENIX Association events and announcements.
comp.org.usrgroup
comp.os.eunice          The SRI Eunice system.
comp.sources.3b1
comp.sources.bugs
comp.sources.misc
comp.sources.reviewed
comp.sources.sun
comp.sources.unix
comp.sources.x
comp.std.c
comp.std.unix
comp.sys.3b1
comp.sys.amiga.unix
comp.sys.att            Discussions about AT&T microcomputers
comp.sys.pyramid
comp.sys.sgi
comp.sys.sun
comp.sys.tahoe
comp.unix
comp.unix.admin
comp.unix.aix
comp.unix.amiga
comp.unix.aux
comp.unix.cray
comp.unix.i386
comp.unix.internals
comp.unix.large
comp.unix.microport
comp.unix.misc
comp.unix.msdos
comp.unix.programmer
comp.unix.questions     UNIX neophytes group.
comp.unix.shell
comp.unix.sysv286
comp.unix.sysv386
comp.unix.ultrix
comp.unix.wizards       Discussions, bug reports, and fixes on and for UNIX.
comp.unix.xenix         Discussion about the Xenix OS.
comp.unix.xenix.misc
comp.unix.xenix.sco
fa.unix-cpm
fa.unix-wizards
mod.computers.pyramid
mod.computers.sun
mod.os.unix
mod.sources             Moderated postings of public domain sources.
mod.sources.doc
mod.std.c
mod.std.unix
mod.unix                Moderated discussion of Unix features and bugs.
net.2bsd-bugs
net.4bsd-bugs
net.bugs                General bug reports and fixes.
net.bugs.2bsd
net.bugs.4bsd
net.bugs.usg
net.bugs.v7
net.eunice              The SRI Eunice system.
net.lang.c
net.sources             For the posting of software packages & documentation.
net.sources.bugs
net.unix                UNIX neophytes group.
net.unix-wizards        Discussions, bug reports, and fixes on and for UNIX.
net.usenix              USENIX Association events and announcements.
net.v7-bugs
net.v7bugs
net.xbsd
unix-pc.bugs