[TUHS] Short history of 'grep'

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Sun Jan 31 06:20:56 AEST 2016

OK, for those who haven't heard it before...

There was a meeting at Bell Labs.  One women came in late, all out of
breath.  She apologized: "I'm so sorry I'm late, but I was grepping my
apartment for my keys."

One of the senior UNIX guys in the meeting responded dryly:  "You should
have used egrep, it's faster."