[TUHS] Short history of 'grep'

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Jan 31 11:50:56 AEST 2016

If you really want to see a fast grep then you need to look at gnu
grep by Mike Haertel.  Thread about it here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-August/019310.html

If you are a performance nerd then that thread and that code is worth
a read.  Mike is extremely good at performance.  He's as good at that
as all the original Unix people were at getting stuff to fit in a small
amount of memory.

I like to think of myself as a performance guy but Mike is better.

--
---