[TUHS] 68000 vs. 8086 ( was Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs)

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jul 1 04:49:03 AEST 2016

Steve almost right....mixing a few memories...see below..

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM, <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:

> My memory was that the 68000 gave the 8086 a pretty good run for its
> money,

​Indeed - most of the UNIX workstations folks picked it because of the
linear addressing.​

but when Moto came out with a memory management chip it had some
> severe flaws that made paging and fault recovery impossible, while the
> equivalent features available on the 8086 line were tolerable.

​Different issues...​

​When the 68000 came out there was a base/limit register chip available,​
who's number I forget (Moto offered to Apple for no additional cost if they
would use it in the Mac but sadly they did not).    This chip was similar
to the 11/70 MMU, as that's what Les and Nick were used to using (they used
a 11/70 running Unix V6 has the development box and had been before the
what would become the 68000 -- another set of great stories from Les, Nick
and Tom Gunter).

The problem with running a 68000 with VM was not the MMU, it was the
microcode.   Nick did not store all of the needed information needed by the
microcode to recover from a faulted instruction, so if a instruction could
not complete, it could not be restarted without data loss.

> There were
> ​ ​
> some bizarre attempts to page with the 68000 (I remember one product that
> had two 68000 chips, one of which was solely to sit on the shoulder of the
> other and remember enough information to respond to faults!).

​This was referred to as Forest Baskett mode -- he did a early paper that
described it.  I just did a quick look but did not see a copy in my shelf
of Moto stuff.​   At least two commercial systems were built this way -
Apollo and Masscomp.

The two processors are called the "executor" and "fixer."  The trick is
that when the MMU detects an fault will occur, the executor is sent "wait
state" cycles telling it that the required memory location is just taking
longer to read or write.   The fixer is then given the faulting address,
which handles the fault.    When the page is finally filled, on the
Masscomp system the cache is then loaded and the executor is allowed to
complete the memory cycle.

When Nick fixed the microcode for the processor, the updated chip was
rebranded as the 68010.   In the case of the Masscomp MC-500 CPU board, we
popped the new chip in as the executor and changed the PAL's so the fault
was allowed to occur (creating the MPU board).   This allowed the executor
to go do other work while the fixer was dealing with the fault.    We
picked up a small amount of performance, but in fact it was not much.   I
still have a system on my home network BTW (although I have not turned it
on in a while -- it was working last time I tried it).

Note the 68010 still needed an external MMU.  Apollo and Masscomp built
their own, although fairly soon after they did the '10 Moto created a chip
to replace the base/limit register scheme with one that handled 2-level
pages.

In Masscomp's case when we did the 5000 series which was based on the
68020, use their MMU for their low end (300 series)  and our custom MMU on
the larger systems (700 series).

> By the time
> ​ ​
> Moto fixed it, the 8086 had taken the field...

​Well sort of.   The 68K definitely won the UNIX wars, at least until the
386 and linear addressing would show up in the Intel line.​  There were
some alternatives like the Z8000, NS32032, and AT&T did the 32100 which was
used in the 3B2/3B5 et al. but 68K was the lion share.

​Clem​