[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 12:35:27 AEST 2016

On 30 June 2016 at 20:38, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote (in part):
> Marc,

[...]
> Seriously, Marc I get it and you are better man for dealing with the
> craziness of the day.  Many of the rest of us would not at the time, and
> until we got "real HW" did not mess that much with it.

Anyone remember Desqview/X?  A strange beast, running some window
manager on X on a PC. They made available a variant of gcc and you
could actually compile some X stuff.  I say "some" because I tried
compiling something by running xmkmf+make  and went back to laying
subfloor in an adjacent room.  A few minutes later, I heard the PC
rebooting.  The underlying file system was still DOS and thus 8.3
names.  The source included headers that differed in the 9th place and
the stack eventually blew.

N.