[TUHS] OS for IBM PC (was: Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Jul 5 04:13:30 AEST 2016

QNX, which wasn't Unix compat at the time but sorta close, in the mid
1980's was very very small and ran just fine on a 80286.  If my memory
serves me correctly I had 4-10 people logged into that box on terminals.

QNX, at least until they put real posix conformance in it, was a really
tiny micro kernel with the rest of the os in processes.  It fit in a
4K instruction cache with room to spare.

QNX, in my opinion, is the only really interesting and commercially
proven microkernel.

--
---