[TUHS] Microkernels (was: OS for IBM PC (was: Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs))

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Jul 8 09:36:46 AEST 2016

On Thursday,  7 July 2016 at  6:51:08 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey scripsit:
>
>> Tandem's Guardian was a microkernel, and a very successful one at
>> that.
>
> I doubt if anyone knew or knows that who didn't work there.

I think so, though it wasn't high on the list of features.  Nor should
it be.  But the message system in particular (for communicating
between kernel processes) makes for a very interesting design.  Adding
networking was as simple as extending the message system beyond the
local cluster, and Tandem was running an internal world-wide network
by the early 1980s.  It makes an interesting (if not particularly
good) comparison with the Internet.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.