[TUHS] Slashes (was: MS-DOS)

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jul 9 06:49:25 AEST 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> What terminals did you use, back in those days?

​
Hard copy (that I remember, but we have proven how poor memory can be):​

   - ​ASR/KSR 33s originally, we had one 37 but it was not on a system I
   used
   - IBM console's printers Model numbers I've ​forgotten (but with an APL
   ball)
   - Later Xerox DaisyWheel printers Model numbers I've ​forgotten
   - Later DEC Decwritter I and II

Glass TTY (not complete but for a quick memory dump)

   - Lear Siegler ADM3 (lots of them - many people made them as kits) and
   why we have hjkl as the movement keys in vi - the arrows were embossed on
   those key tops
   - PE "Fox" (CMU has a large lot deal and these became the standard there
   in the late 70s)
   - Triple Drip "Graphic Wonders" (man I miss these with a dedicated PDP11
   and an amazing keyboard --- best game platform I ever knew)
   - Tektronix 401x series (just about all models of them) but 4014 was
   used the most
   - DEC VT52
   - Eventually, VT-100, PT-100 and a number of other VT-100 knock offs
   - Eventually Tek 4025s (until the RT, one of the best keyboards - used
   in Magnolia BTW)
   - Heathkit H19 (still have mine that I built)
   - Eventually Wyse 100's, 99GTs and Wyse 60s -- later being the best Wyse
   (I still have one)
   - Ann Arbor Ambassador (my all time favorite - wish I still had one)
   - Too many different graphics terminals to remember
   - Numerous other "dumb terminals" who's brand names I have long
   forgotten.
   - although for some reason I remember the Kimtron KT-7 being a popular
   one - memory is they were dirt cheap at the time
   - Eventually later models of DEC terminals, but the keyboard always
   sucked and had those strange DEC private connectors on them, so I tried to
   avoid them.

Clem