[TUHS] Slashes

pete pete at dunnington.plus.com
Mon Jul 11 06:23:05 AEST 2016

On 09/07/2016 15:22, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> If 19961 is the oldest citation the OED can come up with, "slash"
> really is a coinage of the computer age. Yet the character had
> been in algebra books for centuries

1961 is about the time I was learning to type (in Britain), and I was
taught it as "slash".  My mother - who was an excellent professional
typist but never had any contact with computers - almost always referred
to '/' as "slash".  The one exception I can recall is in the usage "...
and/or ..." where it was sometimes spoken as "... and or or ..."
(though often the first "or" was simply omitted).

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull