[TUHS] Boats (was: Slashes)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Mon Jul 11 20:38:55 AEST 2016

Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
 |On 2016-07-11 04:00, John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
 |> Johnny Billquist scripsit:

Me too, unfortunately.  I never learned old Greek, on German
Gymnasiums you now have to learn Latin instead of Greek, since
maybe after the last war, world war that is.

 |Well, in Scandinavian the port side is called "babord", which comes from
 |bare board, since that was the "clean" side, which you could dock on. No

For that the German word is "Backbord" -- and wether that is clean
depends: it seems to originate in "bak", related to "Backe", and
that is indeed "(ars)backe", which i won't translate unless
everybody has appropriate toilet support.

--steffen