[TUHS] Shell control through external commands

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Jul 15 01:46:54 AEST 2016

Diomidis Spinellis scripsit:

> The 7th Edition Bourne shell has these commands built-in
> (usr/src/cmd/sh/cmd.c), while the 6th Edition (usr/source/s2/sh.c)
> seems to lack them completely.

Between the 6e shell and the Bourne shell there was the Mashey, or PWB,
shell, which was the first to have them built in.  So if they existed,
they were probably separate commands on 6e-ish systems that didn't reach
the outside world.  It's important to remember that the whole terminology
of editions and releases didn't apply within Bell Labs itself.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
"The serene chaos that is Courage, and the phenomenon of Unopened
Consciousness have been known to the Great World eons longer than Extaboulism."
"Why is that?" the woman inquired.
"Because I just made that word up", the Master said wisely.
        --Kehlog Albran, The Profit