[TUHS] Help with a Unix-ish project?

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Sat Jul 16 08:56:17 AEST 2016

Hi all, I'm working on a Unix-related project, and I thought I'd ask if
anybody here might help.

There's a pared-down Unix-like system, xv6, which is inspired by 6th Edition
Unix and the Lions Commentary. Its purpose is to teach OS principles.
The website and book are here:
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2014/xv6.html
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2014/xv6/book-rev8.pdf

Unfortunately, while the kernel is nice, they don't provide much of
a run-time environment, so it feels too much of a toy to use. I had the
idea of porting a small set of libraries and commands over to get it to
the point where it feels a bit like 7th Edition.

I've made a start by using the Minix 2.0 libraries and commands, see
https://github.com/DoctorWkt/xv6-minix2 and the NOTES file. I now realise
that bringing up a libc plus associated commands will involve a fair bit of
work.

So, if anybody is interested in helping, let me know.

Thanks in advance, Warren