[TUHS] Of login names

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Jul 18 23:21:48 AEST 2016

Tony Finch scripsit:

> We have a similar scheme which has been running (with minor changes) for
> about 40 years, with a throughput of about 250,000 people in the last 20
> years (the era of bulk user registration). A while back I wrote a note
> about some of the reasons it works well, but I didn't mention that if
> someone ends up with an unfortunate username, we can (modulo language
> barriers) blame the parents...

That works provided that web sites that use email addresses as user
identifiers (a common and IMO laudable practice) don't start to filter
for "rude" expressions in them.

I like your section 2.9, which I can now (like Dr. Johnson and the chapter
on snakes) repeat verbatim.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
How comes city and country to be filled with drones and rogues, our highways
with hackers, and all places with sloth and wickedness?
                --W. Blith, Eng. Improver Improved, 1652