[TUHS] Of login (and host) names

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Tue Jul 19 00:46:39 AEST 2016

When we were running the UUCP Zone, 3Com wanted to register 3com.com
through us.  ISI balked at it, saying the RFC said domains had to start
with a letter.  It turned out the original code decided if it was an IP
address or a domain name by looking at whether the first character was a
letter or digit.  We pushed back, it was allowed, and the code (and
eventually RFC) was fixed.  UUCP, of course, didn't have that issue.

     Mary Ann