[TUHS] Of login names

George Ross gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 26 23:07:51 AEST 2016

> I have a possibly-invented memory that the CS department at Edinburgh (and
> probably others) ended up being called DCS because cs is a valid top-level
> domain, and so the horrid sendmail magic which worked out whether addresses
> needed to be turned around (and, I suppose, knew all the TLDs -- it
> certainly had a huge table of things) would get confused by uk.ac.ed.cs and
> send things to Czechoslovakia (as then was).

No, that's a genuine memory, though I don't remember whether it was just a
worry or whether things actually got lost.  Electrical Engineering (aka "ee")
was another similarly affected.  I still have books on my shelf with a
sticker in them with my coloured-book "cs" address listed.

--
gdmr at uk.ac.ed.cs, then gdmr at uk.ac.ed.dcs then gdmr at dcs.ed.ac.uk (which
still works), then eventually gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk.

George D M Ross MSc PhD CEng MBCS CITP, University of Edinburgh,
School of Informatics, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 9AB
Mail: gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk   Voice: 0131 650 5147   Fax: 0131 650 6899
PGP: 1024D/AD758CC5  B91E D430 1E0D 5883 EF6A  426C B676 5C2B AD75 8CC5

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.