[TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jul 28 10:47:32 AEST 2016

Certainly 4.2 was were most people found them and the UNIX community at large saw them and I do not wAnt to disparage my siblings at Berkeley for the fine work done there.

 But particularly since Dennis has passed I hate seeing history get forgotten/rewritten.  I can tell you I personally I remember talking to Dennis and Steve Bourne about the idea of late binding for nami pre-BSD 3x UNIX days  - late 1979 is my guess might have been a little later.  Dennis would have been messing with them in a post V7 systems.  I would have been at Tek @ the time.  Joy probable would have seen them as a summer intern at the labs and talked to him about it then.

You are right the BSD 4.2 made the world know about them but like a number of things in BSD (such as networking) it was in some cases a (better) integration of ideas others had played with before.

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.