[TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:03:50 AEST 2016

Clem cole wrote:
> Yep.  We used it for both but discovered it tended to be better for our system as a /tmp because we tried really hard to keep the 11/70 from swapping in those days.
>
> Clem
>
> Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

That gave the AT&T folks (and Regional Bells) a major improvement over
the RS04 (and less of a maintenance problem) and the Computer Special
Systems folks at DEC had a way to use less than perfect MK11 memory
since the embedded internal ML11 disk controller mapped out bad blocks
in NVRAM  so it looked like a clean disk. I remember stories about a 3x
improvement in some of the 11/70's jobs,

I don't know what apps were on the box.  Might have been COSMOS or
something else.

When I saw the Windows Ready Boost and Intel Turbo memory I really
flashed (ugh pun not intended) to the day I installed the early
ML11... Nothing new in the OS business that wasn't done in the old
days.  Unfortunately, there's very little love for history in the industry.
My college major was history... so I love the connected nature of the
designs.  It's all an evolution.

Bill