[TUHS] History repeating itself (was: Unix v6 problem with /tmp)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Jul 30 17:56:41 AEST 2016

On Thursday, 28 July 2016 at  9:57:40 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Michael Kjörling scripsit:
>>
>> Now all that's really missing is that stationwagon loaded with tapes
>
> Now replaced by the Fedexed hard drive.  Xkcd estimates that if they did
> nothing else, Fedex would be able to transmit 14 petabits per second.
> Companies dealing in big data often use this internally, and IIRC you
> can donate content to the Internet Archive by sending them a disk.

Hard disk drives are yesterday's criterion.  Now it's microSDXC cards.
Physical volume 0.165 ml, up to 200 GB.  I've seen claims that my
station wagon has a cargo volume of 2,752 l, though that seems on the
high side.  That corresponds to about 16,670,000 cards or 3.3 EB.
Take that on a 20 minute drive, and you end up with a link bandwidth
of about 22 Pb/s.

Who needs FedEx?  Of course, the link bandwidth is no longer the
bottleneck.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.