[TUHS] etymology of read -u

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 01:57:01 AEST 2016

I asked Jeff Korn (David Korn's son), who in turn asked David Korn who
confirmed that 'read -u' comes from ksh and that 'u' stands for 'unit'.

        - Dan C.
Yes, indeed. He says:

*I added -u when I added co processes in the mid '80s.  The u stands for
unit.  It was command to talk about file descriptor unit at that time.*