[TUHS] Origin year of BSD csh?

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Mon Jun 27 06:58:05 AEST 2016

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016, Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 09:30:39AM -0700, Mary Ann Horton wrote:
>> I brought csh with me to Bell Labs in the summer of 1979.  The folks at Bell
>> Labs recoiled in horror: they had just gone through a painful conversion
>> from the Mashey shell to the Bourne shell
>
> I used csh for a while before ksh became available.  It was an improvement
> over the Bourne shell, IMO, but once ksh came out I went back to Bourne
> shell syntax.  And now bash is pretty nice.
>
> --lm

For some daft reason my first foray onto the Unix command line was tcsh,
and later I switched to bash, which is still my primary choice - though I
don't mind using any other Korn-type shell, long as I got my "emacs
editing" mode (although the real ksh's tab completion is clunkier than
bash's).

Using a Bourne shell that doesn't have a line editor is a pain in the
keester, but if I must, I can deal.

I have no idea how to use csh, and if I'm set up with csh as my default
shell the first thing I'll do is try to switch it to bash or ksh!

-uso.