[TUHS] Origin year of BSD csh?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Tue Jun 28 16:49:35 AEST 2016

On 2016-Jun-27 16:28:14 -0500, Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:
>Hard to believe the 8086 chip was “optimized” for anything.  The instruction set was designed for programming terminals.

I think "designed" is being generous.  The closest to "designed" would have been for a calculation but then the 4004 grew warts and the warts grew warts.

>The iapx32 was designed to run higher level languages (Ada)

That was the iapx432.  No relationship to the x86.

And, whilst we're dealing with what-if's, what if the M68K had taken off,
rather than the 8086.  IBM had a M68K box in the same timeframe as the PC.

--
Peter Jeremy