[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

David david at kdbarto.org
Thu Jun 30 23:15:55 AEST 2016

> From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2016, scj at yaccman.com wrote:
>
>> Pascal had P-code, and gave C a real run, especially as a teaching
>> language.
>
> Something I picked up at Uni was that Pascal was never designed for
> production use; instead; you debugged your algorithm in it, then ported it
> to your language of choice.

I was an active member of the UCSD Pascal project from 77 to 80, and then was with SofTech MicroSystems for a couple years after that.

An unwritten legacy of the Project was that, according to Professor Ken Bowles, IBM wanted to use UCSD Pascal as the OS for their new x86 based personal computer. The license was never worked out as the University of California got overly involved in it. As a result IBM went with their second choice, some small Redmond based company no one had ever heard of. So it was intended and, at least IBM thought, it was good enough for production use.

I also knew of UCSD Pascal programs written to do things such as dentist office billing and scheduling and other major ‘real world’ tasks. So it wasn’t just an academic project.

I still have UCSD Pascal capable of running in a simulator, though I’ve not run it in a while. And I have all the source for the OS and interpreter for the Version I.5 and II.0 systems. Being a code pig just means that I need a lot of disk space.

	David