[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jun 30 23:39:59 AEST 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:18 AM, William Cheswick <ches at cheswick.com> wrote:

> What a different world it would be if IBM had selected the M68000

​Blame that on Moto, not IBM.  IBM wanted the 68K.   But Moto kept pushing
the 6809 on them.    IBM and Tek were two of the sites that had the
experimental chip that I was referring.  My friend Les Crudele related the
story of IBM visiting Austin (Les and Nick Tredenick were the primary 68K
guys).  It seems IBM wanted to use the new chip and Moto marketing kept
telling them it was an experiment and was not a product.  The cool new
product from Moto was the 6809 and they should use that.   IBM knew they
wanted a 16bit processor which it was not, so they looked elsewhere.

Then again, I might have my current job if Moto marketing not been so short
sighted.

Clem

PS  BTW:  Les has equally great stories about working with Apple BTW.  My
favorite is that he says, Moto tried to get Apple to put a MMU into the
original Mac, but Job's would not hear of it.  Not needed for a PC and all
that.
​