[TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Mar 22 10:27:28 AEST 2016

On Monday, 21 March 2016 at 15:57:24 -0700, scj at yaccman.com wrote:

> But the closest I came to being murdered was ...  it also turned out
> that when -.25 was so "executed", it took the CPU into the power
> down sequence, and it turned the machine off!

Not that I haven't done that sort of thing myself, but my favourite
one was a Tandem customer whose programmers had come from a different
system, and they knew that the correct way to terminate a program was
to jump to absolute location 0.  And how about that, it worked!

One day we received a problem report that CPU 4 of their system would
reliably fail at 16:04 every day.  We spent a long time puzzling over
it: there was kernel data corruption of a kind we had never seen
before.  TL;DR: it seems that the jump to 0, in combination with a
kernel library bug, had interpreted the "instruction" at location 0 to
modify this particular location in kernel memory.  More details at
http://www.lemis.com/grog/warstories/CPU-4-at-16-04.php

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.