[TUHS] Etymology of the open file table?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Mar 24 06:17:04 AEST 2016

Dan Cross scripsit:

> Thanks, all. I kind of figured it was something like that....

For general information on CTSS, the grandparent of Unix, see
<http://www.multicians.org/thvv/7094.html>.
Unfortunately, all it says about RUNCOM is:

    Louis Pouzin also invented RUNCOM for CTSS. This facility,
    the direct ancestor of the Unix shell script, allowed users
    to create a file-system file of commands to be executed, with
    parameter substitution. Louis also produced a design for the
    Multics shell, ancestor of the Unix shell.

That's a great site for everything Multics-related, and has a lot of
ancestral stuff that we've mostly heard about from the Bell Labs side.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them
alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag
went over me.  I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am
Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider.  --Bilbo to Smaug