[TUHS] Again about etymology: rc

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Mar 25 11:19:56 AEST 2016

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 at 20:20:05 +0100, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> About the History of Unix, I was wondering with another guy why the
> rc script has that name.

I'm surprised nobody else has commented that we saw this about 3
months ago.  Tom Van Vleck wrote about CTSS:

> Louis wrote a disk loaded program called RUNCOM that read command
> lines from a file, substituted arguments into the command, and
> requested the supervisor to run them, and then return control to
> RUNCOM.  This is a shell-like function.

> Revised command processing, RUNCOM, and . SAVED are documented in
> the second edition CTSS manual.
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/ctss/CTSS_ProgrammersGuide_Dec69.pdf

Our assumption at the time was that the "rc" comes from this program.
The entire message is in the TUHS archives (29 December 2015, Subject:
" CTSS user interface?".  Let me know if you can't find it.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.