[TUHS] Is the Teletype the unsung hero of Unix?

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Sat Mar 26 14:30:42 AEST 2016

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Even now I tend to shorten file names.  And I suspect I'm not the only
> person who hates these excessively long
> --options-that-could-have-been-written-more-succinctly.  Probably it's
> at least partially a mentality issue.

I still like one-letter switches, and my programs sometimes use tons upon
tons of them.

Even well into the days of tab completion, I still often keep my filenames
down to 8 characters or less plus extension, which leaves people wondering
what the heck "L34-01.MP4" is. (spoiler: "Lupin the 3rd, Part IV, Episode
1")

That said, just yesterday I was wondering what the heck "TANGALA.BAS" on
my hard drive was.  (It was a TANdy 1000 program that played the startup
jingle from GALAga.)

-uso.