[TUHS] DEC filenames (was: Command-line options)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Mar 27 07:03:06 AEST 2016

Johnny Billquist scripsit:

> SIXBIT dominated here for a long time. We see it both in the PDP-8,
> but also the PDP-6 and its follow ons. RAD50 was the natural
> extension of SIXBIT on a machine that did not have a word size that
> was a multiple of 6.

Well, for identifiers, yes.  But SIXBIT was quite general, especially
if you repurposed two of the characters to mean "end of string" and
"CR+LF".  The "@" was a popular choice for the former, perhaps because
its encoding is 00; IIRC, "_" was popular for the latter.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Long-short-short, long-short-short / Dactyls in dimeter,
Verse form with choriambs / (Masculine rhyme):
One sentence (two stanzas) / Hexasyllabically
Challenges poets who / Don't have the time.     --robison who's at texas dot net